Sunday, January 24, 2016

My 2015 Top 10 Films ~ No. 10 - No. 6

You can see almost everyone on the web having their own top 10 favourite films of the year and guess what? You stumbled upon another personal top 10 favourite films list for 2015 and this time it's from... me! Feel free to click away if you had bored yourself reading all of the other people's choices of movies but if you somehow curious to find out if my list of movies have anything in common with your taste in movies, then scroll down to read more. :-)

I will be separating this chart into two posts with five movies in each post. For this one, I will be counting down the bottom half of the chart starting with number 10. Let's begin!


10 ~ Jurassic World


This is the sequel that fans had been waiting for in years, and could be the beginning of a potential new trilogy. Well, I'm not certain myself if it will be a trilogy but at least with the success this movie had achieved at the box office, we can be sure that another sequel is in the works. Some might not like the juggernaut this movie had become because they might just consider it as just another standard popcorn fare, but personally I think it is a really fun movie. It brought nostalgic factor to the old fans of the franchise and sparked new interest to the new generation which when you think about it, kind of a brilliant idea to restart a franchise.

Image source: Jurassic World UK website

9 ~ The Divergent Series: Insurgent


You ought to think that Insurgent only appeals to teenage girls due to its novel series' popularity to the young audience, or for it to be constantly compared to other young adult franchises like the Twilight series and the Hunger Games series. But I'm not a teenager, and last time I check, I'm still a guy but somehow I love Insurgent, which to me just proves that the story is universal and can appeal to anyone. Shailene Woodley was excellent in it; the story was a bit convoluted but still entertaining; there were some really great scenes in it; and I think it's a welcome upgrade production-wise compared to its predecessor, Divergent. It may not be as popular as the two franchises that I had just mentioned before, but I'm sure lots of fans are eagerly waiting for the next movie in the series, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, to be released in March this year. I, for one, can't wait!

Image source: The Divergent Series: Insurgent website


8 ~ The Good Dinosaur


I love this movie! It has an emotional story and almost made me cry on several occasions. It's a good movie with a simple story and told in a simplistic way which makes the movie skewed young in its target demographic, but as an adult, I enjoyed it nevertheless. I especially love the two main characters a lot, Arlo and Spot. They are so adorable! The visuals for this movie is amazing too with the settings look almost life-like. As of this writing, The Good Dinosaur only managed to make around $268 million at the worldwide box office. It may sounds like a lot but considering that the movie costs around $175 million to $200 million to make, that's actually considered quite a big loss for Disney and Pixar. Such a shame.

Image source: Pixar website


7 ~ Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation


Although this is the fifth movie in the Tom Cruise-starred franchise, it is the first Mission: Impossible movie I ever watch in the cinema. I don't think I ever watch any of the previous movies in full either. Although I was 'late' to join the club, I'm glad to say that I don't have any trouble following the plot of Rogue Nation, which is good and shows that the movie is strong as its own entity as it is part of the franchise. I really like the main villain a lot (played by Sean Harris), and Rebecca Ferguson as an MI6 undercover agent Ilsa Faust was a standout as well. The film was loved by movie critics and was successful at the box-office as well, with currently being the second-highest grossing film in the franchise behind the fourth installment, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol.

Image source: Mission: Impossible website


6 ~ Mad Max: Fury Road


As excited as I was when I first saw the trailer for this movie, I didn't expect it to be so highly praised by movie critics or even be nominated in awards ceremony. It was a welcome surprise since I love the movie too. The story was good, the visuals were stunning, the action-sequences were excellent and the characters were great and memorable. The three main standout actors for me are Tom Hardy as Max himself, Charlize Theron as Imperator Furiosa and Nicholas Hoult as Nux; they were exceptionally great in their roles, and to be fair, the rest of the cast were good as well. The movie is unique in it's own way and has it's own mainstream appeal as well. The movie was expensive to make and eventhough it made around $375 million at the worldwide box-office, it was not considered profitable due to its high production cost. So it's good to see the movie receives recognition at the awards ceremonies because personally I feel it truly deserved all the attention. Such a great movie!

Image source: Mad Max website


So there you have it, the bottom half of my Top 10 movies for 2015. What do you think of my movie's selection so far? I will be revealing the top half of this chart soon so I hope you will come back to check them out.

No comments: